Geology, Hydrogeology and Hydrology
Type of course in situ
Course provider Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM)
Available dates for this course
Please contact Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) directly for a current list of course dates
Are you involved in the need to protect surface water and groundwater from contamination from waste facilities? To ensure proper control/protection you
should be aware of how geology, hydrogeology and hydrology can influence their design and control
measures. This course provides a basic understanding of the essential elements of geology, hydrogeology and hydrology required for the proper design and operation of such facilities.
What’s in it for me?:
By the end of the course you will be able to:
• Identify and explain the relevant geological and hydrological factors that need to be taken into account in the design and management of waste management facilities
• Explain the essential elements of geology, including formation and structure of rock types
• Explain the hydrological cycle in order to understand the impact and application in the design and management of waste facilities
• Explain the hydrogeological settings and groundwater flow
patterns in rock formations in order to understand the impact
on waste management facilities
• Identify a range of control measures at waste management
facilities to prevent groundwater and surface water contamination
• Identify relevant legislation relating to the prevention of
contamination to surface water and groundwater in order to
Who should attend:
Anyone who is involved or likely to be involved in the development, management or regulation of landfills and other waste facilities who need an essential understanding of the impact of geology, hydrology and hydrogeology in order to prevent contamination of surface and groundwater from waste facilities.
This course may also be of interest to those who have a basic understanding of geology etc, but would like to put it into context for waste management facilities.
Structured Learning and Development Scheme and CPD:
This course provides 1 days towards CIWM’s Structured Learning and Development Scheme, or 6 hours CPD.
9 Saxon Court St. Peter's Gardens Marefair
Telephone: +44 (0) 1604 620426
Fax: +44 (0) 1604 604467