Environmental Permitting and Exemptions
Type of course in situ
Course provider Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM)
Available dates for this course
Please contact Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) directly for a current list of course dates
Are you involved in applications for waste management licenses or exemptions? Do you need to know more about the process and the requirements? This course will provide a thorough understanding of the permitting regime and how and when exemptions apply in relation to waste and resource activities.
What’s in it for me?
By the end of the course you will:
• Appreciate the origins of and background to waste management legislation: why we are where we are and how we arrived here
• Understand the interplay between European Directives/Regulations and UK Acts/Regulations and elevant guidance
• Understand the core European legislation - in particular the
Framework Directive on Waste
• Appreciate how the Environmental Permitting Regulations implement the European requirements
• Decide which waste management activities require an Environmental Permit and:
- how to apply for one
- how to apply to amend, transfer or surrender one
- how the Environment Agency will regulate the permitted
activities and what powers and duties they have
- how the appeal system works
• Be able to judge which activities would be exempt from the
need to have a permit
• Be able to decide on the most appropriate exemption(s) for a number of example scenarios.
Who should attend:
This course is designed for Wastes or Environmental Managers responsible for producing, keeping, treating, receiving or disposing of a wide range of wastes. It will be of particular interest to those involved in building, construction and demolition wastes, composting, restoration programmes on agricultural land or brownfield sites or subject to new controls e.g. agricultural waste, WEEE, ELVS etc.
Structured Learning and Development Scheme and CPD:
This course provides 1 days towards CIWM’s Structured Learning and Development Scheme, or 6 hours CPD.
9 Saxon Court St. Peter's Gardens Marefair
Telephone: +44 (0) 1604 620426
Fax: +44 (0) 1604 604467