An Introduction to the Management of Waste
Various - please contact for details.
Type of course in situ
Course provider Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM)
Available dates for this course
Please contact Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) directly for a current list of course dates
Are you required to deal with your company’s waste? Are you new to the waste industry or need to
understand it in order to change career paths? This course will provide those new to the management
of wastes with an introduction to sustainable waste management within the UK and an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of those involved from waste
production to ultimate disposal.
What’s in it for me?
By the end of the course you will:
• Understand the importance of the management of wastes and the relationship to sustainable development
• Appreciate the principles of best practice with respect to
wastes management, the relationship to the conservation
of resources and the risk of pollution
• Have an understanding of the national waste strategy and
the principal legislative and fiscal controls related to wastes
• Appreciate the nature and scope of the wastes management
industry and understand the duties, responsibilities and
powers of those involved in the management of wastes
• Understand the sources of wastes, their nature and
classification in the UK and Europe
• Understand the options available for the minimisation,
recovery, re-uses, treatment and disposal of wastes
• Appreciate the systems of collection, transport and transfer
• Understand the hazards posed by wastes during their
collection, storage, transport, treatment and disposal,
and how these risks can be minimised.
Who should attend:
This course is designed for anyone needing an overview of sustainable waste management. This includes waste producing businesses, planners, regulators and waste management industry personnel.
A more practitioner-based course aimed at waste management industry personnel ‘Practical Waste Management’ is also available.
The course is interactive using presentations with case studies and group work.
Structured Learning and Development Scheme and CPD:
This course provides 3 days towards CIWM’s Structured Learning and Development Scheme, or 18 hours CPD.
9 Saxon Court St. Peter's Gardens Marefair
Telephone: +44 (0) 1604 620426
Fax: +44 (0) 1604 604467